Monday, May 22, 2006

how not to return a cat

so about a month ago i adopted a cat. he was 3 years old, an adorable grey tabby, and his name was murphy. well, i thought that i really wanted a cat. but then i soon realized, indoor pets are NOT my thing. i was raised in california, where pets belong outside, and i am used to that. i do not know any other way really, and with a big backyard and great weather, the animals are quite fine with the living arrangement as well.

but this cat i adopted, had always lived inside. and i thought, wellll, it might be nice having an inside companion so to speak. but oh hell no. that was not so. i cannot stand it! there is hair, that no matter how much you vacuum and brush and sweep or whatever...there is always hair! and he would claw the rug, and even changing the kitty litter box a billion times daily, there was still that faint smell of cat.

so i decided to give murphy back. on saturday. two days ago. i figured there would be no problem since the lady at the adoption center said that whether it be a week from now or six years from now, i could always return him should there be a problem. so i brought him back. and THIS is what ensued.

dianne: "yeeeaahhh...this relationship is just not working out. sorry."

crazy cat lady: "what?! how can you not love him?!?! you know, this is a love for life policy! a LOVE for LIFE!!!"

dianne: "uuhhh, well, unless i end his life tomorrow, this will most definitely NOT be a love for life home."

crazy lady: "what would you have done if i couldn't take him back??? huh?!?! what!?"

dianne: "you said you would take him back so that is kind of a stupid question."

crazy lady: "but what if i hadn't?!?! huh?"

dianne: "mmmm, probably put him in a plastic bag and thrown him in some nearby river...or a little visit to my exhaust pipe."

crazy lady: "WHAT!!!! you are a horrible person. people like you make me sick! you know i have ten cats and i love every one of them dearly! and you can't even handle one!"

dianne: "hahaha! oh great. you manifested your biological desire to procreate through felines. congratulations lady...you are officially pathetic."

****now mind you fam damily, throughout this entire conversation, i was walking out of the pet store and to my car, not wanting to encourage this pointless argument. but the lady FOLLOWED me! out of the store. across the parking lot. we were by the cars at this point in the story****

so after i said that last comment, about her being pathetic, the woman actually raised her hand, as if she was going to slap me!!! this whacko of a middle aged woman was going to hit me!!! and so i lost it. and when i get mad, like us swifts do from time to time, i get creepy calm and void of emotion. so i grabbed her arm that she was swinging at me in an attempt tp slap my face, grabbed her other arm by the elbow and lifted her and shoved/pinned her against a car in the parking lot.

dianne: "no one but my mother has ever hit me before, and things are not about to change now."

!!!!!!

can you believe this?!?!?! it is ten o clock on a saturday morning and the shit has hit the fan outside of petsmart! with kids and families all frozen just staring at me and this woman in the parking lot.

and then this poor little old woman comes up to the car with shopping cart and is alarmed at this scene that is taken place against her car. she must have been like eighty and the poor cart came up to her neck practically she was so short. she sees me shove this woman and starts wringing her hands and is like, "oh dear...oh dear..."

and i see her so i immediately turn my behavior like a light switch and kind of throw crazy cat lady aside and am like...

"oh! let me help you unload your cart."

i thus proceed to help her, the cat freak goes back into the store, and i go on with my day.



13 Comments:

At 5/23/2006 12:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... I guess we all have our Wolverine moments, now don't we?

 
At 5/23/2006 11:33:00 AM, Blogger Ken said...

This is the reason you should carry around a tazer. Nothing says don't F--K with me like sending some batshit crazy old woman into convulsions with a tazer.

This is also why animals do not belong in the house. Do you see the tension it causes on society?

 
At 5/23/2006 01:09:00 PM, Blogger Gordon said...

When we were looking at dogs when we first bought the house, I tried to get a germans sheperd puppy from one of those adoption places. But their terms were the dog had to have the run of the entire house. She claimed that it was mean to have a dog be outside and/or restricted to the kitchen/dining room area. Seriously. So I looked somewhere else, and was told the same thing. Apparently it was better to risk having to gas the dog than it was to have it come home to the torture of being an only pet in my fenced yard, with a covered deck, and a bed in the garage. Those people are fucking nuts.

 
At 5/23/2006 02:16:00 PM, Blogger dianne said...

i know!!! since when did animals not know how to survive outside comfortably? people are retarded about the whole thing. i should have handed the woman a ziplock bag of ashes and said, there is your cat back.

 
At 5/23/2006 11:51:00 PM, Blogger flieswithoutwings said...

I still like my rabbit story:

I handed over hard-earned cash to buy some rabbits only to receive a drawn out lecture on how "it is NEVER alright to HIT a bunny." and detailed instructions to regularly wash the bunnies' vaginas.

Granted, one of our rabbits died last December, but I do not believe it had anything to do with the cleanliness of that most private of areas. Nor my violent temperament.

Maybe you should try rabbits. I've never heard of them living indoors. They don't make any noise. Food is $10 for a 50 pd. bag or just pull some weeds from the yard. As long as you skip the Brazilian wash and wax, they are very low maintenance.

Anytime ours get loose, they just hang out around the outside of their cage.

 
At 5/24/2006 09:05:00 AM, Blogger Ken said...

I am calling B.S. on your rabbit story. Every time I have shot a rabbit, they always make this high pitched scream gives me goose bumps. Then I laugh hystarically.


On a side note, Dianne has always had underlying issues with animals. For her freshman photography class, she depicted the gruesome death of a pigeon by my hands in black and white. The most disturbing pictures were the ones taken as I tenderly disected the pigeon with an axe.

 
At 5/24/2006 10:49:00 AM, Blogger flieswithoutwings said...

Yeah, maybe the difference is that I haven't shot my rabbits yet so I haven't heard them. If you do buy rabbits and they yap too much, you can just strap on one of those shock-collars they make for barking dogs.

 
At 5/24/2006 05:47:00 PM, Blogger dianne said...

i forgot some parts of the story. a slightly updated version of the story is on my blog on my myspace. go look there!

 
At 5/25/2006 01:27:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh... MySpace animal trauma... I love it.

 
At 5/25/2006 05:22:00 AM, Blogger Ken said...

Gord, why didn't you tell the lady that you had a bed handmade for the dog and that you were going to bronze its first turd. It is not like she was going to show up 6 months later. By that point, you could have trained the dog to kill her.

 
At 5/26/2006 07:42:00 AM, Blogger Gordon said...

And by the way, Dianne has issues with animals? Ahem. Who exactly, in elemnentary school, when asked to draw thes school mascot, drew steaks of said mascot grilling on a barbecue?

 
At 5/26/2006 08:05:00 AM, Blogger Ken said...

Who doesn't like a good bottlenose dolphin steak. With mashed potatoes. yummmmmmm.

 
At 6/08/2006 09:16:00 PM, Blogger Native Minnow said...

I absolutely love this story. Unfortunately, I know too many people like this crazy cat lady.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home