Saturday, November 11, 2006

how mom neglected me

I remember when i first realized I needed glasses. I was sitting on the couch in the family room and Mom asked me what time it was. I looked tot he clock in the kitchen and couldn't see it. Karen could see it and Mom told me i needed to have my eyes checked.

I went to the doctors and it was confirmed. I was vision impaired!

So I went to go get glasses. But Mom could not go with me and sent Dad along with me. Thanks a lot Mom. A nine year old does not have enogh sense to pick out her own glasses. Well, I sure as hell didn't. I loved Dad and wanted to be just like him. i found glasses like his and went up to the lady in the store and handed them over to her.

"These are the ones I want."

"Ummm...these are actually men's glasses. We have a nice selection of girl's glasses right over her if you just follow me..."

"Nooooo, I want these. My Dad has them and I want them."

She looked towards Dad and my ever sensible father was like, "Give the girl what she wants."

So thanks a lot Mom!!! I looked like a freak. Fortunatley, Ken and I used to get into physical fights all the time and the lifespan of the those glasses were short. It is a good thing I ignored Mom's advice to not take my school picture in those hideous things. I might then have not had the memory of the those fine specs.

and because i love this picture of me and my mom.....errr, sister. hahaha!!!

7 Comments:

At 11/11/2006 02:35:00 PM, Blogger Ken said...

Ohhh the memories. I had glasses like that right up until I choose the ones I have now. Kerri said if I had been wearing those type of glasses, she never would have gone out with me. So much for Dad's sense of style.

 
At 11/11/2006 02:37:00 PM, Blogger Ken said...

I also forgot about you dead tooth. hahahaha. I am glad baby teeth fall out. To bad my big chicklet like front teeth were permanent.

 
At 11/11/2006 03:03:00 PM, Blogger dianne said...

i know. i am still waiting to grow into my front teeth. if you look on my myspace i put a crap load of pics up....they crack me up. maybe i will post them here too.

that dead tooth was foul.

 
At 11/11/2006 06:01:00 PM, Blogger Greg said...

I had totally forgot about those glasses. The kid I remember with glasses like those was David Myrdahl.

 
At 11/11/2006 07:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude! The dead tooth - I totally forgot! Ah and the glasses - memories that we all had but forgotten about. Does anyone have any pictures of Mishka? That dog was like a living hair matt. Did anyone else ever have to pick out the foxtails and shave her. Remember her t shirts?

 
At 11/11/2006 11:16:00 PM, Blogger Gordon said...

You should have saved that tooth.

 
At 11/12/2006 11:22:00 PM, Blogger flieswithoutwings said...

Thank you for letting me laugh at your expense. I really wish this was a roast because I can think of a lot of mean things to say about your school picture, but I don't know you so I'd better not.

Doesn't that shirt also look like a man's dicky over polka-dots, though? (That one had to come out)

Every kid goes through adult teeth in a little face so you can't really laugh at that.

I don't know your father but I'm sure he believes that the clothes don't make the man, neither that glasses make the woman. I admire your bold decision in eyewear.

You don't know neglect by your mother until you've had this conversation...

Mom: "I'm going away for a few weeks for work. I can't say for sure when I'll be back."

Me: "How will I get to school?"

Mom: "Hitchhike.... and take your little brother with you."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home